Rally the realm. Game of Thrones Night is coming.
We’ve made no secret that we’re into some things that people might consider nerdy (see Star Wars Night). Last season, we highlighted the stellar Twitter work of Bulls fan Mur Lafferty, who routinely tweets at games from the perspective of Game of Thrones character Sansa Stark.
We’re about to take it to a whole new level. On April 23, the Bulls of House Durham will host Game of Thrones Night. For the millions of fans of HBO’s mega-hit show and the readers of George R.R. Martin’s novels, this is your night. After all, the fantasy epic and baseball have a lot in common:
- Good guys & bad guys: we’re playing the Charlotte Knights on 4/23…yes, we did that on purpose.
- Awesome costumes: The Bulls will wear custom theme jerseys. We’re going to make you wait to see those (but trust us, they’ll be in more demand than dragon eggs).
- Plot twists: Lots of inning breaks means lots of GoT-themed entertainment. Some things you might expect, some you won’t.
- The Wall: Theirs is made of ice and keeps out the undead. Ours is made of blue-painted wood and keeps balls in play. Close enough.
- MLB Advanced Media: Baseball’s internet arm will power the HBO NOW streaming service (which will launch in time for Game of Thrones’ season five premiere) and it powers DurhamBulls.com. We’re cousins in technology.
- Lavish food & drink: Game of Thrones Night falls on a $1 concessions Thursday…you’ll feel as rich as a Lannister with all the $1 hot dogs you can buy. Plus, the DBAP’s selection of spirits rivals the finest outputs from the Arbor.
- Spirit animals: The Starks have dire wolves, we’ve got Wool E. Bull.
The major difference is, unlike the show or books, no major characters will meet their untimely demise during our event. And of course, we’ve got big plans for #Sansaball. Get your tickets HERE for the April 23rd game, presented by Hilton Durham. It’ll surely be one of the most buzzed-about Minor League Baseball promotions of the season.